Saturday, August 24, 2013

Garden Tour 2013

Today I was at a garden tour around Framingham. We started at the Victory over Hunger Garden, which is a community garden at the First United Methodist Church. My Mom and I have a plot there. The tour of our plot featured the sunflowers (which are much taller than me!) our tomatoes (which have been producing like crazy), our pumpkins and our marigolds. We also have carrots that we chopped up and brought for people to try.

Next we went to Laura's garden. Her garden was so huge. It's really hard to imagine that she also has a plot at the community garden we went to first, but she does. She has so many things, but a few of them are asparagus, raspberries, tomatoes, strawberries, flowers, and even mushrooms. At her house I also got to try yellow watermelon which was grown in her garden (it was very tasty).

Although it wasn't the last stop on the tour, the next stop was my last one. We went to Kate's garden. It had a lot of beautiful flowers, but was also very cool. She had an irrigation system, and the biggest gardening tool I've ever seen. It's called a broadfork and you actually jump on it to use it. (It's used to aerate the soil.)  Her compost system has three stages and is very impressive. 

There were also two other gardens that I didn't make it to. If you went on the garden tour, feel free to leave a comment about the other gardens, so that there is more information about them. If you didn't go on the tour, feel free to ask any questions about the gardens I went to.


4 comments:

  1. Amelia

    Thank you so much for these photos. I couldn't go this year so it helped me get an idea of how it went. Inspirational is what we want it to be!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Amelia. What a beautiful description of the first part of the day. We visited 2 other community gardens on the south side of Framingham. They both had huge plots. We saw lots of beans and corn and some tomatoes. At the Pratt St. Community Garden, there was something that looked like eggplant but the ripe ones were red and they were much smaller and a little different shape from the eggplant we are used to. Thank you for taking the time to care for the earth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope there are lots of seventh graders like you, Amelia, because, if there are, the earth is in good hands. I was very impressed that many of the plots in the Victory Over Hunger garden are dedicated to producing fresh food for those in need. At the Pratt St. Community Garden we learned that some Brazilians have planted vegetables native to their country, which was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those gardens are amazing. I am impressed by the variety of plants and the care that was taken to do important things like composting. Thank you for the photos!

    ReplyDelete