At school, there were a few trees that kids had ripped the bark off and pulled branches off, and the storms lately have also made trees start to die or made trees very hurt. I took photographs of a lot of trees around my neighborhood. The first few are things that people did. And the last bunch are stuff from the storms, insects, or just time. We can't bring these trees back to life, but we can plant new trees/plants. Tell me if you have done some planting lately, and I'll tell you if I have too.
Nice photos!
ReplyDeleteI planted some trees last summer; apple trees to be precise! I'm very excited.
This year, I also plants some things in and around the garden: cabbage from seedlings (looking great!), lettuce and radishes and parsley from seed. Oh, and the beans and peas are just taking off.
I help people transplant some of our raspberries, and moved some of our own mint and chives. They all smell so good. :)
So what've you planted?
Last October I helped plant 3 small oak trees around Framingham. One of them you can see right next to the McAuliffe Library. I haven't checked them lately, but I hope they are healthy. Tomorrow I'm going to Stearns Farm to plant something (they haven't told us what it is yet). I plan to plant a lot of things around the garden (which we haven't start doing yet, "hint, hint," Mom). In school we planted bean plants. Mine hasn't sprouted yet, but we just planted them last week (from seeds). I hope to bring them home and put them in my garden after school is over.
ReplyDelete-Amelia B.
We have a tree in our backyard that a tree specialist said should be cut down but we only had the dead branches taken off. Since then each year we have a special kind of fungus called Dryad's Saddle (Polyporus squamosus) appear and over the last winter and this spring we had an eastern screech owl family living in the same hole in the tree where one of the branches was removed. You can see photos at
ReplyDeletehttps://picasaweb.google.com/john.memmott/OurOwlOwlet and https://picasaweb.google.com/john.memmott/TreeFungus2011
We're glad we kept that tree.